Re: Electric Fan

To: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Electric Fan
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 10:55:49 -0500
Cc: "triumphs (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by Joe Curry
>Would someone please tell me how an electric fan pulls power away from the
engine???

Sure it requires power to run, but that alternator is running all the time
anyway.  The electricity is coming from the battery and
being replenished by the alternator.  The only effect that running an
electric fan has on the engine (as far as I can see) is that a
large power drain might steal some power from the ignition system.
<

Joe,

Didn't you ever ride one of those "Ready Kilowatt" bicycles at the sicence
shows?  You know, the ones connected to a generator which is, in turn,
connected to a bank of lights which can be switched on.  The torque
required to keep the generator running increases with the electrical load.

I cn explain the actual electromagnetic mechanism for why this is so but I
think most folks will start to doze off.  Just suffice it to say that the
torque load goes up.  Try this: loosen the belt .  Start the engine and
make sure the alternator is turning.  Now, turn on all the loads (lights,
fan, wiper) and watch the alternator belt start slipping.  With the right
amount of not enough tension and you will see what happens.

Dave

P.S Oh, and after you're done retighten the belt.