Re: Fuel Pump Question

To: "Scott A. Roberts" <herald1200@home.com>
Subject: Re: Fuel Pump Question
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 13:18:26 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
> but how do we solve the problem of too
>much fuel pressure?
  < snip >
There is little you can do to change the pressure.  It is mechanically
controlled primarily by the strength of the return spring controlling the
pump diaphragm or plunger.  If there is no adjustment on the pump, and you
cannot replace or adjust this spring then short of putting a pressure
regulator in between the pump and the carb there is nothing else you can
do.  Since you mentioned that money is tight, then a regulator is probably
as much or more than the pump - Things like a restriction in the line would
only delay the time it takes to build pressure by reducing the volume,
something you certainly DON'T want to do.  Sorry, but short of replacing
the pump or installing said regulator, there isn't anything else you can do
to reduce line pressure that I know of -

72 PI, V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (long term project)