Re: Re-birth of Triumph

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Re-birth of Triumph
From: Herald948@aol.com
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 12:13:59 EST
In a message dated Fri, 12 Jan 2001 11:08:56 AM Eastern Standard Time, "Evans,
Mark" <Mark.Evans@Anheuser-Busch.com> writes:

<< I do believe one manufacturer comes close to capturing the spirit of the
older British marques...
Check out the Panoz Esperante built right here in GA...
Now, if they could reach the price point in the market that Triumph had.... >>

And that's the big problem, IMO. The Panoz comes in closer in price class to
what Aston-Martins and Jaguars. Seems to me that any Triumph would, in today's
auto world, fit in much closer to the Miata (Spitfire class) and/or
Z3/Boxster/S2000 (big TR/Healey, etc.).

Admittedly, Triumph was never absolute "entry-level" in terms of price. Triumph
sports cars in the US always ran, in price, a fair bit above the basic
transportation Fords, Chevies and Plymouths. Similary, the saloons -- even the
10 and Herald -- didn't sell on price. Some really didn't sell, period. Witness
the Sports 6 and 2000, both of which were really too expensive to compete well
in the 1960s US market, nice as they were.

I think I'll stay with the Triumphs we remember. At least I can afford (some
of) them! :-)

--Andy Mace