Re: TR3 - "Dip" in front of Nose ? a.EDU>

To: Pat <pleask@mailhost.wlc.com>
Subject: Re: TR3 - "Dip" in front of Nose ? a.EDU>
From: erl@unix.mail.virginia.edu
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 11:18:17 -0500 (EST)
Cc: TRlist <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Mmdf-warning: Parse error in original version of preceding line at mail.virginia.edu
Is this a TR-3 (small mouth) or a TR-3A (wide mouth?) The wide mouth
does have such a "dip."  It was very common for body shops to make a
rather smooth, level space here, because recapturing the original
contour was pretty difficult.  This is the general distinction of a good
restoration/body shop craft, if this contour is retained.

Cheers.

On Thu, 4 Jan
2001, Pat wrote:

> Well here is one for all the "purists" in our group ! (I think)
>
> My nose is in to my body man to be brought back to life after a rather sad
> past ! <G>
>
> I am told by a very reliable source from whom I buy my parts that there is
> supposed to be "Dip" on the top front of the TR3 nose piece. That is, below
> the "T R I U M P H" letters and where the sheet metal rolls over the 180
> degrees towards the back of the car where the front grill attaches.
>
> As far as my memory can go back, I can never recall seeing this prevalent in
> a TR3. I'm told that most nose's have been filled in (Bondo) over the years
> from body men (and women <G> ) who think this is a defect.
>
> Would any one happen to have a snap the accentuates this "Dip" ? Does it go
> the width of the car ? Do any of your cars have it ??
>
> Thanks, All.
> Pat (Again !)

James A. Ruffner