question re: 1996 Cavalier (non-LBC)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: question re: 1996 Cavalier (non-LBC)
From: Dan Buettner <danb@thelittlemacshop.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 16:50:49 -0600
A friend is having some intermittent difficulty starting her '96
Cavalier (4-cyl. auto) in the severely cold weather here in Iowa ...
she took it in to the dealership for service, and they can't
replicate the problem.

They want, however, to sell her a "fuel injection system flush" for
$124.  This procedure is listed in the owner's manual as recommended
every 30,000 miles, so it's not that the dealership is necessarily
trying to sell her a "muffler strut" or a "spark plug polishing" to
bump up profits ...

My question, however, is: what the heck is a fuel injection system
flush?  I've been driving and working on cars for a long time, and
have never heard of such a thing, at least not beyond the $2.99
bottle of "cleaner" crap you pour in with your gas.  Also -- wouldn't
the use of detergent gasoline render such a procedure unnecessary?

Sorry to bomb the list -- but I figure among us all we've got ten
times the automotive experience the dealership has.

Thanks,
Dan
--
Dan Buettner  -  Des Moines, Iowa  -  mailto:danb@thelittlemacshop.com

1957 TR3, TS15098L.  Getting an O!  Undergoing frame-off restoration
begun 9/99.  Currently awaiting warm weather.

1977 Spitfire, FM64159U, now with an O too.  In need of a
comprehensive restoration (again), but will have to wait its turn in
storage.

1997 Nissan pickup, a.k.a. Triumph support vehicle.

Visit the Team.Net Triumph list member pages at:
http://www.thelittlemacshop.com/trsite/index.html
Photos, downloads, member bios, and more!