TR6 correct ride height

To: <Corey_Sherman@lotus.com>
Subject: TR6 correct ride height
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 21:34:18 -0000
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
I remember seeing ride height checking guages at the end of final
finish. There were different types according to model, market and
tyres fitted. Measurements were taken from the floor to the top centre
of front and rear wheel arches while others were from floor to the
underside lip of each sill immediately behind the front and
immediately in front of the rear wheels. While I don't know the
specific measurements, I do know the tolerances on the wheel arches
were plus or minus 5/16ths of an inch. I think the sill clearance was
absolute. How you adjusted one without affecting the other, I don't
know but I suspect brute force may have been fairly prominent. Ain't
it odd how these daft little numbers stick in one's brain - but there
is a reason <g>
How to determine that actual figure? In the absence of specific data
that might be lurking in hidden paper files, I'd go for an average of
readings from listers who have hopefully 'standard' cars. Even then,
this will probably be a bit subjective owing to the fact that tyre
profiles are now different to what they were. As a pointer to possible
data sources, if anyone can lay their hands on one of the books of
consolidated road tests published by Autocar or Motor magazines,
there's a good chance the figures will be there as described above or
other figures that would be useful approximations. Each test in those
days provided a massive info source of specific car measurements and
weights.

Jonmac