Re: TR3 top installation

To: Jesse Bregman <jdb49@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: TR3 top installation
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 09:53:05 -0700
Cc: Triumphs@autox.team.net
go to your local hobby store and get a pair of snap pliers.  They
usually come in a kit along with a few male and female snaps.

I have found that Robbins tops generally are pre marked showing the
normal position of the fasteners.  These will serve as a guide but will
not always be 100 percent correct.  I usually start at the middle of the
back and work outward stretching the fabric as I go to make sure it is
tight.  It is better if the work is done in a heated work space because
as the fabric heats up, it becomes looser.  A hair dryer is good to use
in warming the fabric.

If you have "lift-the-dot" fasteners to install, get yourself a small
block of soft wood (pine) and place the side with the tabs onto the
fabric and using the wood as a base, hammer the metal part through the
fabric and into the wood.  Then locate the facing piece onto the exposed
tabs and bend them doen with your hammer.

With patience and a lot of time spent ensuring that you are properly
placing the fasteners plus stretching the fabric as you go, you should
be able to achieve as good of fit as the $250 upholstery job.

Good Luck,
Joe