Re: FW: Home Powder Coating

To: Michael Ferguson <fergie@ntplx.net>
Subject: Re: FW: Home Powder Coating
From: Doug Bach <db10782@insync.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 23:59:24 -0600
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Hi Michael,

I would agree, don't use the oven in your kitchen to cure powder coatings.  Of
the volatiles which come off a powder coating during curing (typically a maximum
of .5% for powder coatings other than urethane-polyesters, most of which is
water) a small fraction may be low-molecular-weight polymers, and you probably
don't want to eat those, although "toxic" may be an overstatement.

I would guess that the caution against gas ovens stems from the fact that some
gas sources have trace impurities which may contribute to color change on very
light colors (primarily shades of white and beiges) which causes yellowing in
overbake situations.

For anyone who is serious about doing home powder coating,  I'd suggest looking
for a dealer in used industrial equipment who may have a small convection oven
(either gas or electric) for sale.  It will provide much better results than a
"still" oven at a reasonable price.

Doug