Re: 6 volt coils in Saloons

To: "Bob Kramer" <rgk@flash.net>, "TR List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 6 volt coils in Saloons
From: "David Greed" <greed@wave.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 07:51:05 +1300
Bob

The fact that the coil is a 12 volt may affect starting but nothing else,
although having said that, my 2500S is similarily equippped and it has no
problem getting going. The 6 volt coils employ the ballast resistor to drop
the 12 volt input to 6 volts during normal running, the coil only receives
the full 12 volts during starting, when the ballast resistor is bypassed. If
you have a 12 volt coil AND a ballast resistor, then normal running will be
adversely affected.

My thoughts are that the carbs have not been adjusted to suit the cam
profile. You don't mention what carburettors are installed, what condition
they are in and what needles are installed in the carbs. You may also need
to look at the ignition advance as well.

David Greed
1974 Stag Man O/D
1979 2500S Man O/D

Email: Home: greed@wave.co.nz