checking fresh but non-running engine on the stand

To: "'Triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: checking fresh but non-running engine on the stand
From: "Eric Conrad" <econrad@teal.csn.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 22:36:15 -0700
List,
This might be a strange question.  Has anyone ever thought to check the
compression of an engine that is freshly rebuilt, still on the stand, with
no starter motor, no manifolds, carbs or spark plugs attached?  I'm thinking
that hand cranking would be the power input for this test.  Is this a no-no?
If it is alright to do this, what type readings might one expect from doing
this?
Thanks,
Eric Conrad
'76 TR6 - engine rebuilt, degree-ed (I hope I did it correctly), and just
waiting to be dropped in.