RE: TR6 engine reassembly - Crankshaft endfloat - help

To: "'Eric Conrad'" <econrad@teal.csn.net>, "'Triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 engine reassembly - Crankshaft endfloat - help
From: "Bowen, Patrick" <pbowen@intellinetics.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 07:56:44 -0500
Cc: Larry Morrison <LaJoMor@aol.com>, "Inc. Power British Performance Parts" <britcars@powerbritish.com>, Chris Kantarjiev <cak@dimebank.com>, Wayne Whippo <WayneWhippo@compuserve.com>, levilevi@home.com, Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com>, Fred Thomas <vafred@erols.com>, Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Eric, I would not personally worry about your end float, sounds like you
have it set fine.  As for the Lock washers, I would defineately NOT use lock
washers.  I would however, very highly recommend you find some thick high
strength washers and place them on top of the caps.  Your local machine shop
will have some good ones on hand.  I have found that the Main caps on
Triumphs tend to 'cone' out at the top from the bolts slowly deforming and
being pulled through, this tends to crack them - something like shoving a
wedge through something.  I would also make sure that the top part of the
main cap (where the bolt head and your new washer will sit, is flat - if not
have it machined.

This issue, while not being critical to the point of measurement, is
important to durability.

Patrick Bowen