Re: Attitude a.EDU>

To: Phil Ethier <pethier@isd.net>
Subject: Re: Attitude a.EDU>
From: erl@unix.mail.virginia.edu
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 09:33:16 -0500 (EST)
Cc: Michael Thompson <miket@urgrgcc.edu>, Michael Marr <mmarr@idcnet.com>, TR list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Mmdf-warning: Parse error in original version of preceding line at mail.virginia.edu
Actually, the first inkling that the US was to become a world power was
the Mexican War.  All the European powers thought that Mexico would make
short work of us.  Their army was larger, and assumably better trained
and equipped.  For whatever we like to think, except for Andy Jackson's
New Orleans battle, the British did a number on us in the War of 1812.
This certaily gave the Europeans cause to consider us light-weights.
Thus it came as a great surprise to Europe when we trashed the Mexicans.
 Even during the War Between the States (the Civil War to you uneducated
Yankees (g)) we startled the Europeans with our military developments,
especially in such areas as Iron clads, and light weapons production.

Cheers.

On Tue, 28 Nov 2000, Phil Ethier wrote:

> >The USA has only been a power for the last 50-60 years.
>

> I disagree.  The Spanish-American war established the USA as a world power.
>
> Phil Ethier    Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
> 1970 Lotus Europa, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1986 Suburban, 1962 Triumph TR4 CT2846L
> LOON, MAC   pethier@isd.net     http://www.mnautox.com/
> "It makes a nice noise when it goes faster"
> - 4-year-old Adam, upon seeing a bitmap of Grandma Susie's TR4.

James A. Ruffner