Flex Coupler

To: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Flex Coupler
From: "Keith R. Stewart" <kstewart@wwdc.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 22:32:58 -0500
al salvatore wrote:
++++++++++++
just replaced the steering flex coupler on my 76 tr6,
needed c-clamp to compress it; to get last bolt through.
after it was out, i snaped it in half like a 3 day old dunkin donut.  If
anybody has not replaced this part i recommend replacing it at once.
++++++++++++
I think these are the same as the ones in my TR4 and TR4A that I replaced.
First time was in 1967 after it failed in my '62 TR4 about 5 minutes after I
came off the QEW (an interstate like highway) in the middle of winter. It
still scares me now thinking about what might have happened.

Any way, just a tip here. I have found they are easier to compress for
refitting if you use a large hose type clamp around the diameter of the flex
coupler. Use the kind that has a gear action to tighten. If you cannot get
one large enough to go around the coupler, undo two of the hose clamps and
put the tab of one into the gear tightener for the other to link them
together and get a larger clamp.

Cheers
Keith

    _       _
   | \     / |        Keith R. Stewart
   |  \   /  |        75 Camden Road
   |   \_/   |        London, Ontario
   | 62 | TR4|        N5X 2K2
   | 67 |TR4A|        Canada
   | 70 |Spit|        Home:    (519)660-1916
 __|    |Mk3 |__      E-Mail:  kstewart@wwdc.com
 \T \___|___/ H/      (and a 68 Triumph Trophy 250)
  \ R I U M P /