Re: tr-3 doors, and drilling heads

To: naffy@netins.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: tr-3 doors, and drilling heads
From: Tr3bob@aol.com
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 19:50:44 EST
Gary,
I agree with the listers here....the FIRST option would be to remove the
screw. This can be accomplished with heat, Blaster (leave it wet for a couple
of days) and an impact driver.
The LAST resort would be to drill...it's messy and if you're not accurate you
could spoil the threads.
If you must drill, start by drilling out the countersink....remove the hinge,
then try more Blaster and a Vise-grip on the stub. If that fails then grind
the stub flush to provide a flat surface and keep the drill from "walking".
Pick a bit size that won't ruin the nut if you're not dead straight. Once
you're comfortable with the hole size and feel confident you've missed the
threads, you can increase the bit size or try an "Easy out"....one of the
guys in our machine shop uses a left handed drill bit and "unscrews" the
screw stub while running the drill counterclockwise.....works every time.
Good luck

Bob Stahlbush
66 MGB GHN3L 78708
60 TR3A TS 81398L