Re: TR6 - Front end rebuild in progress

To: Richard.R.Olson@tc.faa.gov, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 - Front end rebuild in progress
From: Chip19474@aol.com
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 12:52:57 EST
In a message dated 00-11-20 11:27:03 EST, Richard.R.Olson@tc.faa.gov writes:

Rick,

I can give you my .02 on this question and question #3.......

<< Question 2: I think I got this right - Don't use grease in the
      trunions because it won't flow, use 90W.  Well, I did and it leaks,
      well, drips, out the bottom.  Any ideas? >>

I'm using Mobil 1 synthetic grease in the new trunnions of my TR6 rebuild.  I
have always prefered grease over oil but never used synthetic grease.  Aside
from the actual lubrication of the threads (which both agents are primarily
designed to do), I believe that grease is a better agent in keeping
water/moisture out of the protected area i.e., threads, ball joint, etc. and
synthetic better at doing this over a wider range of temperatures.

Question #3 - I have also noticed that my new front ball joints have a metal
against metal sound eventhough I greased them.  I think this will "go away"
once the body is lowered onto the chassis (with wheels) for the first time
and the car loads the joints.  I'm envisioning then jacking it back up,
greasing again and all becoming "normal".

Good luck,

chip

Chip Krout
'76 TR6 CF57822U (chassis finished - working on body & engine)
'70 Spit Mk3  FDU78512L (tucked away for a long winter's nap)