TR6 engine on Engine Stand

To: "Eric Conrad" <econrad@teal.csn.net>
Subject: TR6 engine on Engine Stand
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 10:38:03 -0500
Cc: "'Triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "Eric Conrad"
>I've had the machined block on my engine stand since the machining was
completed.  I fit the 4 arms into the block's rear bolt holes, and have
kept
it this way until now.  I'm now ready to re-assemble the engine.  Problem:
the only way I could attach the block was to have the block's center of
gravity several inches above the center of the stands rotating piece.

Further problem:  This is not condusive to easily turning the engine over.
I'm worried about putting more weight in the block, causing it to really be
off center.  Has anyone had a similar experience, or am I just being dumb?
Any solutions that you all found would be very helpful.  BTW, right now, I
have the rear engine plate off of the engine.
<

Eric,

This is typical of engine stands.  If you think the TR6 engine is
precarious try it with a Healeyy engine.  Or a Jag engine.  But you are
right to worry.  A friend of mine toppled an engine over onto the rear wing
(fender) of his car when his three wheeled engine stand tipped.

Two suggestions:  1)Always get a friend when you attempt to turn the engine
so that it can be controlled if it were to become unstable.  2) Get a four
wheel engine stand which has a more stable base.

Good luck.

Dave