Re: hydraulics

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: hydraulics
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@cruzers.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 00 07:06:13 -0800
>If you are rebuilding the braking system anyway it woud be a good time to
>consider converting over to DOT5.  If you have a perfectly functioning
>system, changing to DOT5 is a royal pain and not worth the effort.
>(remember, this is just my opinion)

I agree completely with Dave here.  When my TR3 was rebuilt it got all
new plumbing as well as all new hydraulics.  Everything was clean and
new.  It was just a matter of which fluid to pour in.

Now that I have experience with DOT5, I will be changing the Land Rovers
system over.  But not until I need to perform a general hydraulics
rebuild.  Right now everything is working just fine on DOT4 and will
likely continue to do so for several more years.

If you have a good functioning system, it is a lot of work and expense
for no apparent return.  Wait until the point when your hydraulic system
is tired and it's time to do a complete overhaul of the system.  At that
time it is just a little extra work which will result in a more like new
system anyway.

TeriAnn Wakeman               If you send me direct mail, please
Santa Cruz, California        start the subject line with TW -
twakeman@cruzers.com           I will be sure to read the message

http://www.shadow-catcher.net      <- Photography for sale
http://www.overlander.net          <- Web directory for Land Rover
http://www.cruzers.com/~twakeman   <- My personal web site

"How can life grant us the boon of living..unless we dare"
Amelia Earhart 1898-1937