Re: fluif

To: Fred Thomas <vafred@erols.com>
Subject: Re: fluif
From: "Martin A. Secrest" <msecrest@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2000 15:56:47 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
I'll second that.  People tend to freak when they think about what might be
involved in converting to DOT 5.  I used the procedure just as Fred (and the
fluiF manufacturer) described on my GT6 three years ago, and have had no
problems whatsoever, nor do I have a spongy pedal.  The pedal is *slightly*
softer than before, but on a GT6 (ditto for Spitfire), one does worry a lot
about having the M/C leak (which on some hot day it will), because then
invariably the fluid spills down the driver of the car, leaving that smudgy
badge of courage you see on so many of these unrestored cars.

Using the flush/conversion method, however, I did go through about a quart of
DOT 5 fluiF to get things right.  But I've been quite happy with the change.
DOT 5 is also the brake fluid of choice amongst my kart racing colleagues, some
of whom go 140 mph down racing roadways.

--
Martin Secrest
GT6, TR6