Re: Minilite replica wheels with center lock?

To: "Larry R. Metz" <lrmetz@home.com>, "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Minilite replica wheels with center lock?
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 07:38:13 -0600
From: Larry R. Metz <lrmetz@home.com>
To: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Date: Tuesday, October 31, 2000 6:02 PM
Subject: Minilite replica wheels with center lock?

>I got a Rimmer catalog that lists the replica minilite wheels, and
>offers them with center lock, apparently like wire wheels.

I believe these are made by Panasport, which has a good reputation.  I think
they are made in Japan.  The folks who have inherited the Minilite name do
these also, in England (?), but I have no idea how good/expensive they are.

You don't need to buy these from England.  Vicky Brit seems to have the best
price of the Moss/VB/TRF trio.

>Has anyone tried these?

I convinced Scott Fisher to put these on his MGB for autocrossing so he
would not have to give up his wire wheels for non-autocrossing use.  Also,
Bill Latimer, who used to live in these parts, used center-lock Panasports
for autocrossing his MGB.  Both these guys used sticky tires and therefore
put serious forces on the wheels.  I heard no complaints from either.

>Any recommendations as to problems?
>
>They sound like an easier maintenance wheel than having wires?
>
>I am considering them for my TR-4A

If we decide to sell the Lotus, I will almost certainly get a set of
center-lock Panasports for the TR4.  Probably with Yoko AVS Intermediate
tires for autocrossing in the street-prepared street-tire class.  We can
keep the 48-spoke wires for more gentle use.

>Larry from Indiana

"It makes a nice noise when it goes faster"
- 4-year-old Adam, upon seeing a bitmap of Grandma Susie's TR4.