TR6 - Spot rust repair question

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 - Spot rust repair question
From: Richard.R.Olson@tc.faa.gov (Richard R Olson)
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 16:16:04 -0400
     Listers,

     I got my '72 TR6 in 1996.  It looked very rust free.  I cleaned the
     entire frame and body, then applied Waxoyl everywhere I could,
     inside frame rails, sills, wheel wells, doors, etc.

     There was a tiny (the size of a match head) spot of spider webbing
     in the paint on the fender over the rear tail lamp.  Now, 4 years
     later, I see that this tiny spot has grown to the size of a dime.
     (I'm in Southern New Jersey, US, about 8 miles from the ocean; what
     did I expect?)  I figure the rust area is more like 2" X 2" under
     the paint.

     As much as I dislike the car color (Sierra, er, brown) I do not
     plan to repaint for at least another year.  But I would like to
     prevent this (and any other yet undiscovered) rust spot from
     growing.

     Does anyone have suggestions?  I have experience with Bondo (my '73
     is more Bondo than steel), and the various 'rust changers' that put
     a black plastic-like coating on the rust, but would a small area
     like this lend itself to being 'lead-filled'.  I know nothing about
     the technique, would like to learn it if it is applicable, and I DO
     have a spare car to practice on.

     BTW: I did a list search, keyed on 'rust, repair, lead, bodywork,
     etc.', waded through about 20-30 hits out of >100.  None were
     specific on this type of repair.

     Thanks,
     Rick Olson (No, I still don't know the mileage on my car!)