3a sleeves: to bore, or not to bore?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: 3a sleeves: to bore, or not to bore?
From: wallaces@superaje.com
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 14:31:18 -500
I am torn between getting the sleeves from my 3a engine bored, or getting new
ones - the dilemma is financial otherwise the decision would be simple.
I am told that locally at least, it would be difficult to find someone to bore
them because they are used to depending on entire blocks for stability when
boring i.e. the cylinder must hold still to assure a good job, and the weight
of the entire block helps. A set of new sleeves however becomes a mighty
expensive
proposition by the time they land on my doorstep here in Canada.
So the question becomes: is it the experience of list members that there are
indeed machine shops around (North America) who can cope with sleeves, and is
it cost-effective to get them done?
It is very easy to say "just get new ones". If it turns out that there really
is a difference of say < $100 I will go with new sleeves, but, this is money
that could be put toward new pistons, rings, main bearings, tappets, big end
bearings, thrust washers, head gasket, small end bearings, camshaft bushings,
valve guides, exhaust valves.....or who knows? There could even be something
else to spend money on.
Maybe I should have taken up quilting as a hobby.
Jim
http://www.superaje.com/home