Re: Holy TR4 Battery box

To: <Rich@Scotti.com>
Subject: Re: Holy TR4 Battery box
From: "Steven McCutcheon" <Steven.McCutcheon@MAH.GOV.ON.CA>
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2000 10:55:23 -0400
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Rich:  I know it's a long way away, but TR Bitz in the UK sells a perfect
replacement panel.  It fits TR4- TR6 and costs around 40.00 pounds and ships
easily by UPS Air or post.  Contact Rowan at triumph@trbitz.u-net.com
NFISteve Mc
Canada

>>> "Rich Scotti" <Rich@Scotti.com> 09/06/00 08:30PM >>>

Background:
I have a '66 4A with a battery box rusted completely thru in the back
corners against the firewall. Each hole is about 2 inches long and about
3/4" wide. A few smaller holes in the front two corners. The box feels
strong (like it wont drop the battery onto the trans just yet). The body is
stripped and off the frame right now. I'm ready to paint the body (sans
fenders hood, doors etc). The estimates I'm getting are about $1500 -> $2000
to cut out the bottom of the old box, fashion a new steel one, weld it in
place, seam seal, and primer.

Question:
Has anyone in the list found a more creative (and less expensive) way to fix
this common problem?

Any help would be appreciated

RJScotti
'66 TR4 A IRS