Re: MIG welder

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MIG welder
From: MOWOGMAN@aol.com
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 21:51:01 EDT
As far as the MIG goes, I'd buy what's well supported in your area.  I have a
Lincoln, which I've never had any problems with.   The Lincoln does have
variable wire speed which I've used to good effect, "customizing" the feed to
match the current and the material (worked for me anyway!), it also can have
it's polarity reversed which is sometimes a good thin metal "trick".   Pay
attention to the clamp and the gun, quality varies there as well.

As far as dipping your tub, I dipped my Mini shell years ago, and it was a
lot of work.  Be prepared for two things, one how awesome it looks when done,
and the fact that you'll find more flaws, and the cleaning chore.   I would
recommend that you allow yourself several washdowns with nuetralizing cleaner
(whatever the place recommends), then rinse, then baking soda, then rinse,
then rinse, etc.   It is very true that the stripper (which I think is an
alkiline base) gets everywhere.   You will need to concentrate on getting it
out of every unimaginable crevice.   I would still do it, despite my
comments, unless you think the TR6 tub has too many spots that will be
impossible to reach.   Oh yeah, get some conversion coating (pre paint) from
you local paint supply house, that should hold off flash rust for quite some
time, until you coat it with epoxy primer.

good luck!

John
Oostburg, WI
'60 BT7
'60 Mini
'80 TR7 (freshly repainted Carmine red!)
'69 AA
'57 Isetta
Etc.