Spark Plugs

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spark Plugs
From: Bill Elliott <wcelliot@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 18:52:22 -0400
I have a '71 TR6 running a Pertronix Ignitor, Lucas Sport Coil, 7mm
silicone wires, new cap/rotor.  Otherwise dead stock.

In a recent parade, the car never overheated, but appeared to be loading
up the plugs. Miss, hesitation, stall, and restart with black smoke.  I
got caught in heavy construction traffic today with it and it did the
same thing. (It was about 90 degrees and sunny.)

So I stopped at the local autoparts place and asked for a set of plugs
one heat range hotter than the Bosch W8DC that are in it.  They gave me
WR7DC, telling me that the resistor plugs did a better job of not

I just pulled the old plugs and they look great. Nice and clean, no
signs of being fouled.

Now my questions:

1.  Isn't a Bosch WR7DC one range _colder_ than a W8AC? (I know Bosch
and NGK have opposite numbering schemes but I can never recall which is
which.)

2. Anyone successfully using the WR7DC on a stock engine?

3.  What else should I be looking at that would cause the "plug loading"
symptoms I described?

Thanks!

Bill Elliott
Lake Barrington, IL