Re: TR-4A: Wheel extenders, magnafluxing

To: "John Cowan" <jfcowan@pacbell.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR-4A: Wheel extenders, magnafluxing
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 07:39:03 -0500

>Are 1/8 " wheel extenders a safety
>issue, since they obviously increase the stress on the suspension
components.

A one-piece spacer machined from aluminum or steel is perfectly safe.  Be
sure your wheel nuts still have full engagement.  I'd recommend against a
separate spacer for each nut.  If you like, a spacer could be cut from 1/8
steel plate, and then ground flat on a surface grinder.

>2. When I have the front end rebuilt, I'd like to have the vertical links,
>the stub axles and the hubs magnafluxed.  What kind of shop does this work?

Ask at local machine shops, airport maintenance shops and race-car shops.

1970 Lotus Europa, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1986 Chev Suburban
"If I can do it, it's not art"  - Red Green