Re: TRF Spring Compressor

Subject: Re: TRF Spring Compressor
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 09:10:18 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Ken :

I've no experience with the TRF compressor, but I've done this job
several times with my homemade version, and the TRF, Moss, and Churchill
versions all look pretty similar.

Does the spring pan move away from the lower A arms at all ?  I find
that I have to compress the spring until the spring pan is roughly
horizontal, then hold the spindle up while undoing the compressor, so
the pan slides down off the studs.  Then I use a pry bar between the pan
and frame so the inner edge of the pan clears the frame, and I can
finish lowering the pan with it still roughly horizontal.

When you have the spring pan loose, it may still adhere to the spring,
and/or the spring adhere to the tower, but there is no energy left in
the spring, so it's no longer dangerous.  Just shake it a little, or if
necessary, pry downwards on the spring near the top.  Try not to have
any part of your body between the spring and floor tho, since it's
surprisingly heavy and will definitely hurt if it falls on you <g>

Randall
59 TR3A