Re: TR6 - gearbox question and flywheel bolt thanks

To: "Theodore R. Stevens" <stevens@erols.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 - gearbox question and flywheel bolt thanks
From: Glenn Rattmann <k6na@cts.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 10:47:29 -0700
At 07:44 AM 08/04/2000 -0400, you wrote:

>Now I have a gearbox question: I noticed that the throwout bearing fork
>shafts on both the 4-speed I'm removing and the new-to-me overdrive box are
>riding on the bare aluminum bellhousing.  It doesn't look to me that
>there's much room for a bushing, but the factory manual does show one.  Was
>there a design change? SHould I just grease up the ends of the shaft and
>forget it?

Ted,
Yes, there should be a (thin) bushing for each end of the cross-shaft.
Brian Schlorff has recommended the following (and I have done this):

Use TR3-type bushings instead of TR6.  I can't remember if the TR3 ones are
slightly shorter, so you then stack two end-to-end, on each side of the
housing-- or, if they are slightly longer than the TR6 type in which case
you still use just one, each side.  In any event, the idea is to end up
with more bearing surface for the shaft and this could help maintain
overall trueness in the shaft operation as it wears; this in turn could
help eliminate some of the mystery stickiness and squealing of some
clutches, reported on the list.  I rebuilt one of my clutch systems using
the Toyota TOB kit and parts from Brian, along with the extra bushing
surface, and it is now perfect.

Good luck,
Glenn 74.5 TR6 X 2
San Diego