Re: Damaged Rotor/Cap

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Damaged Rotor/Cap
From: "J.H. Roulleaux" <Jean.Rouleaux@skynet.be>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 22:36:43 +0200
Date sent:              Fri, 30 Jun 2000 00:14:12 -0500
From:                   William Elliott <wcelliot@concentric.net>
To:                     triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject:                Damaged Rotor/Cap
Send reply to:          William Elliott <wcelliot@concentric.net>

Had to be towed home tonight with the '71 TR6. Just driving along
normally and she started sputtering (like a dying electric fuel pump)...
then conked out. A quick test showed no spark, so I assumed it was my
year old Pertronix. Swapped back to points (I always carry a set.) Stil
no start.

So I check further and discover good spark at the coil, but none at the
plugs. This prompts me to take a closer look at the cap and rotor.  The
rotor is cracked and has made contact with the cap, damaging both. (But
frankly, neither looked too bad..I'm surprised I had NO spark anywhere.)

Anyway, no spare cap on hand, so I got a tow home.

Cap and rotor were Lucas and put on last fall... about 700 miles ago.
Any idea why I had this problem?

Bill Elliott
Lake Barrington, IL
William,
Exactly the same happened to me a few month ago with a new
Lucas rotor. A very thin crack at the place where the inner spring is
positioned. One hour before I had the windsreen of my 6 shattered,
it was still the original one, not laminated. So it was my day.In the
mean time I have heard many complains concerning new Lucas
rotors that cracked after a short time of use.But there is always a
good and a bad side. The bad side I had to drive for 2 hours without
windsreen,the good side, I had a spare rotor with me.
Regards
Jean