Re: TR2-4: Moss 87 mm liner kit

To: Raymond Hatfield <iron_horse819@yahoo.com>, Michael Marr <mmarr@idcnet.com>, triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR2-4: Moss 87 mm liner kit
From: "Jeffrey J. Barteet" <barteet@nceas.ucsb.edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 10:13:05 -0700
Hi, Everyone,

I bought some 87mm Pisons \ Liners from Moss last year for my TR4.

Here's the scoop:

The ones for $399 are of Indian manufacture.

The ones for $599 are the British AE Hepolites.

I opted for the British AEs.

My impression is that AE is sort of the British equivalent to the U.S.
manufacturer, TRW, i.e., very high quality parts.

I had my engine completely balanced and when I took the pistons in to be
matched with the rods, the machine shop guy said the pistons were all
dead-on, EXACTLY the same.  No balancing required.  The last set of Mahle
pistons I got for a 914 varied several grams from lightest to heaviest.

Both the pistons and the liners were quite beautiful right out of the box
speaking as a gearhead.  It's a shame I don't get to see them.

Anyway, I can't really say how good or bad the Indian ones are, other than
it was recommended that I go with the AEs with my performance-minded rebuild.

Another possibility would be to have your current liners bored out and just
get the piston set.  Some machines shops can do this if they're set up to
bore motorcycle liners.  I understand these piston-only sets are Japanese,
and are quite good in quality, but I haven't seen them.

Some other folks on the list mentioned larger pistons still.

I'm wondering if I could bore out my old, original 86mm pistons to 89 or
91mm.  Does anyone have any experience with that?

-jeffrey

'62 TR4

p.s.

Does anyone have a spare 4a flywheel they want to sell?