GT6 Starter costs - FYI

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: GT6 Starter costs - FYI
From: "David A. Templeton" <davidt@opentext.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 10:21:11 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
In the process of putting the spit back together I noticed the starter had
part of the teeth worn off.  So I went to use the spare starter that I
picked up.  Had it bench tested and it runs but rattles a little bit and the
drive gear ( upon closer inspection ), also needs replacing at a cost of
$27usd($18usd).

To make a long story short a rebuilt starter from the local UAP shop is
costing $100cdn($67usd).  IMHO this is a good price to make sure I have a
starter that:

1. Doesn't chew another flywheel
2. Doesn't cause me grief in trying to replace the drive unit(and bruised
knuckles).
3. Adds confidence that it won't fail anytime really soon.
4. Already cleaned up nice( I know poor excuse, but hey why not?)

Someone asked me about much is it to maintain these LBC's.  Well, the cases
in my experience so far about the same as any newer vehicle I have had.

Just my 2 cents and thoughts for the day.

Regards

        David A. Templeton
        Open Text Corp.
        Waterloo, ON