Re: TR4 - New Robbins Top - Fit Problems

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR4 - New Robbins Top - Fit Problems
From: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 14:30:25 -0400
Brian Sanborn wrote:

> Brian,
>
> First... thanks for taking the time to measure TWO new tops.
> What a guy.  I guess my top is not a odd piece that was cut
> wrong.
>
> I have been reluctant to put a heat gun on the front seam of the
> top for fear it would be damaged and then I could not return it.
> Did you have to do any heating to get the front edge to stretch.
> An inch seems like a lot and what if it shrinks back ... then on
> a Fall day I won't be able to put the top up with out a heat gun.
> Carl Sereda measured his capping along the front and gets the
> same 43 1/4".  If you find the time to measure the capping on the
> 64 TR4 at home it would help.
>
> I'll keep the list posted on the outcome.
>
> Brian Sanborn
> 62 TR4  CT16260L - Groton, MA

I measured up my '64's top and come up just a touch under 43" from
center of snap to center of snap.

Yes, I use a heat gun liberally during installation.  Make it just
hot enough that it's slightly painful to touch the vinyl and it
should be about right.  We do this for a few minutes prior to
stretching and marking each snap.

Generally, I like to leave the tops a little loose if I can - don't
worry if you've got some wrinkles in it when you're done.  I tell
customers not to put the top down for at least three weeks after
installation and recommend that they park the car all day in bright
sun on several occasions during that time period.  The vinyl seems to
stretch where it needs to stretch and shrink where it needs to shrink
to make a nice looking top that isn't impossible to put up and down
later.  I also recommend not to leave the top down overnight or for
long periods for the first three months.  After that, it seems as
though it's stabilized and is less prone to shrinkage later if you
follow these guidelines.

Good luck and let me know if I can measure anything else for you.