RE: primer cleanup

To: "'Graham Stretch'" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>, Keith Ehrlich <kehrlich@bellatlantic.net>
Subject: RE: primer cleanup
From: "Westerdale, Bob" <bwesterdale@edax.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 14:40:26 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
I'm definitely confused....
        Keith already has the primer on the car.  What's the use of trying
to wipe the silicone off the car now?  ( I'm assuming the primer is fresh,
and unsoiled...)  I'd still stay away from solvent based wipe-down at this
point.  A light 400-600 grit dry sanding if the surface is just a bit
rough,  maybe a wet sand if it is a bit more rough or has some debris
embedded in it.  And this is only if a primer/surfacer has been used, not if
a primer/sealer has been applied.  The sealers generally do not like to be
sanded at all.  After wet sand, give it plenty of time to dry, and then a
tack rag just before spraying commences...
Bob Westerdale
59 TR3A  TS36967E

Hi Keith
I have used the Tack cloths in the past and Queried the supplier on this, he
was a technique demonstrator / instructor for one of the large suppliers so
knows his products, he said to just use the tack rag then do a prepaint wipe
with a product that lifts silicones etc, there was a thread a while back on
pre paint cleaners / solvents and what's available where.

Graham.
2500 PI MKII
Sprinted Dolomite
2000 MKI