Re: Clutch problems - kind of long

To: Jeff Johnson <jguy@erinet.com>
Subject: Re: Clutch problems - kind of long
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 09:26:27 -0400
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>, Roger Elliott <relliott@cjnetworks.com> charset=ISO-8859-1
Message text written by Jeff Johnson
>I may talking out of school here, but given the conditions you describe,
it
sounds to me that the taper pin has gone 'round the bend.
In my experience, if the clutch goes suddenly( as it sounds like in your
case), then the fork is rotating just enough on the cross-shaft
to not allow the clutch to engage or dis-engage fully.  The symptoms you
describe fit the diagnosis well. !. The pedal still felt pretty much  the
same. It will if the hydraulics are good, as it sounds like your's
are.<

Jeff,

You are right that the symptoms fit the diagnosis well.  Except for one.
How do you explain the clutch slippage?  If you break a taper pin you won't
get sufficient travel in the throwout bearing but when you release the
pedal the pressure plate will be able to push back to it's full released
position.

Unless the slippage was there before there is something else wrong here.
Maybe there is a broken pin but there is more.

Dave