On the subject of coils HELP!!!

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: On the subject of coils HELP!!!
From: Mquinn698@aol.com
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 22:22:30 EDT
I just got my TR4 engine running after being rebuilt. At this point all I
have is a frame with the engine trans and rear installed. The only wires I
have are the for the starter and a wire for the coil and the car is grounded.
I bought a Crane Fireball coil to replace the Lucas Coil. When I opened the
box I found a ballast resister. Never using one before I don't understand
what it does or what it is for, can someone explain.
The second part of this question is, I installed the coil and ballast
resister following the instructions as soon as I plugged the hot wire to the
ballast resister it started smoking. I pulled the wire and double checked my
self and all seemed correct. I plugged in the hot wire again and more smoke.
So I thought I would see what would happen if I bypass the resister and hook
up the coil like the original coil. The car started fine twice. On the third
time nothing. When I scraped the hot wire on the coil there was no spark as
before. So thinking I fried the coil I put the Lucas coil back and again no
spark. I opened the distributor cap with the power to the coil I touched the
points with a screw driver, still no spark. I did the about 3 time then I got
a spark at the points and a spark when I scrapped the hot wire for the coil.
I buttoned everything up and car started fine again. I'm thinking the crane
coil welded the points slightly and I broke them apart. Now what? did I fry
the crane coil. Is or was the ballast resister bad? did I do something wrong
with the wiring (I had + from battery to resister, then from the resister to
the + of the coil and the - of the coil to the distributor.) HELP!!  I can
build things but I am not very good with the electrical.

Thanks in advance
--Mike Quinn
67 TR4A