Re: Participation

To: arakelianp@mossmotors.com, Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Participation
From: "" <greenman62@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2000 09:24:09 PDT
>From: "Arakelian, Peter" <arakelianp@mossmotors.com>
>To: "'Triumphs@Autox.team.net'" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
>Subject: Participation
>Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 08:31:02 -0700
>
>I would like to start a discussion that gets more people to participate in
>events.  It seems that I see fewer and fewer less than perfect cars at
>shows, meetings, and driving events and I would like to try to encourage
>owners with these cars to attend

   Not bragging, I believe we have an excellent show here in central
   Illinois. The key to our show is the "show" part of the event is
   almost an afterthought. Nine years ago the Central Illinois Triumph
   Assn. and the Prairie Octagon MG club decided that the show an shine
   shows throughout the region left little for the owners' family to
   participate in. We decided to hold a 3-day festival where the show
   (winners being decided by participants vote)was only the last part
   of the weekend. The event in the past have included parties, high
   teas, picinics, murder mysteries, pub crawls, funkhanas, etc
   essntially, driving and non-driving events that the whole family
   could join in on. Each show has a theme (James Bond for our 7th
   year, pirates for our 8th "pieces of eight", etc). We invited
   participants to "play along" e.g. dress accordingly.

   While the Champagne British Car Festival may not be the biggest
   (this year we had 142 cars), we have gotten the reputation of
   being one of the best. We get a lot of "show" cars but the vast
   majority are "drivers" in varying degrees of quality. I think the
   key is not making the show the most important part. Make "having
   fun" the most important, part and you have the beginnings of success.

Greg Petrolati Champaign, Illinois       1962 TR4 (CT4852L)