suspicious dealings on ebay

Subject: suspicious dealings on ebay
From: Bob Simmons <bsimmons@execpc.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2000 09:53:34 -0500
Heard on the tele this morning that there had been some dubious activity
on the ebay site regarding groups of people inflating bids for each
other to jack up prices.  How odd that a tr2-tr3 repair manual that I
had bid on two weeks ago was up to, and over, $50.00 .  This week I am
bidding on the same type item, and my bid was the highest for a week -
$21.50 .  (I did not make this guys reserve, so even though I am the
high bid, do not get the book).  Anyway, how can this be?  Those items
have consistently been around $40 or more dollars.
Hmmm...
thanks