Starting the project PT1 engine

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Starting the project PT1 engine
From: "David A. Templeton" <davidt@opentext.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 10:27:55 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
I am about to venture into the great unknown of a TR3a.  The first thing I
am going to take on is freeing up a seized block.  Has anyone had experience
with this?  From all appearances the liners look okay and may simply need a
good cleaning.  But I can not make a judgement call until I can get the
pistons moving and check the bottom part.

The block is going out to be boiled clean at a local repair shop so that
will get 98% of the grim off.  The question I have is how to get the pistons
free?  The two suggestions I have so far is to use a large can of WD-40 and
fill the top of the pistons.  Allow it soak.  The other fluid that had been
suggested is diesel and again fill the piston.  In both case then take a
block of wood and large sledge and swift whack to each piston.

Any suggestions here, or is it a case of brut force and blind ignorance?

As always
    thanks and regards

        David A. Templeton
        Open Text Corp.