First Impressions of a Lightened Flywheel

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: First Impressions of a Lightened Flywheel
From: " " <canada@voyageronline.net>
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2000 15:00:11 -0400
Listers--

I promised I'd pass along my impressions of the lightened flywheel I
installed in my '76 TR6.  In short, I REALLY like it.  I had some concerns
about removing 10 lbs and getting the wheel down to 18 lbs., but they appear
to have been groundless.  The engine idles at least as smoothly as it did
before, possibly smoother.  There is definitely more punch in the lower
gears . . . on one particularly tight turn/steep hill on the mountain near
my home, the car climbs with no laboring whatsoever, unlike before.  It
feels like there's more horsepower available and quicker response in first
and second.  Noticeable as the improvement is, however, this is not a
substitute for a tired engine.  I will be even happier when I rebuild and
add a few more horses, but that's at least a year away and I'm very pleased
with the improved performance I have now.

One suggestion:  if you decide to go this route, deal with a
competent/experienced speed shop or machinist.  It was obvious when I got
the wheel back from the shop that there are not great margins for error in
cutting one of these flywheels down this much.  As for cost, I paid $65 to a
shop near Chattanooga, TN.

With the new J-OD and HD clutch I installed at the same time, engine RPMs
seem to be 500 or so less at highway speeds and the car is even more fun to
drive than before.

Thanks again to everyone who provided advice on this, especially Brian
Schlorff at Power British.

Ian McLeod
CF57345U +O