Re: Battery selection for TR4

To: Dean_Mericas <dmericas@limno.com>
Subject: Re: Battery selection for TR4
From: Alan Myers <reagntsj@ricochet.net>
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2000 10:41:22 -0700
Cc: "'Triumphs@Autox.team.net'" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Hi Dean,

I am extremely impressed with the red top Optima battery... it's sealed
and tough so you should be able to avoid corrosion problems, takes and
holds charges beautifully. Bought one over a year ago (great price,
locally at an All Parts store, don't know if they are national) for
*eventual* use in my TR4, which is still in pieces all over the garage.
Put a charger on it after sitting for 8 months (yeah, I know)... it
barely took any charge at all! Recently swapped the same battery with
OEM in my L. Rover daily driver (as in, power everything, incl. dual
A/C) and it's working perfectly.

A friend has been using one in otherwise near stock TR4 (OEM generator)
for 2 years, no problems.

I would particularly recommend it if you are still running an original
spec generator. With so little charging going on, you'll have much more
reliability, especially if you ever have a "hard-starting" situation
requiring lots of cranking. (800 CCA, I think)

Downside is the expense, but I got mine for about $120. Try not to pay
to ship it, I think it's about 38 lbs. And, it looks entirely too high
tech under the hood of a TR4... several of us have discussed making a
dummy "Lucas black box" battery to sit the Optima inside!

Eventually, once my TR4 is back on the road, I guarantee you it will
have an Optima in it. Should I ever add more running lights or a winch
to the L. Rover, guarantee you it will have a *second* Optima installed
(haven't decided if it will be the red top, or the "deep cycle" yellow
top, depends on the accessories it's powering).

Recently I saw a custom billet aluminum battery tray and hold-down
specifically for the Optima.... hmmmm, would look good under the LR
hood... not the TR!

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.
'62 TR4 CT17602L