Re: TR6 Cam Shaft Problem...big one

To: Crazeecooter@aol.com
Subject: Re: TR6 Cam Shaft Problem...big one
From: Jim Davis <jh_davis@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 19:32:50 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Jonathan,
I have run a custom grind high lift cam from Schooner Engineering and
the Isky Z-19 cam with stock Z-S's (except for the needles) and have had
no idle problems (except a little lumpiness) that were cam related. You
may have a vacuum leak and or your carbs may need rebuilding, but if you
are running the Isky Z-19 cam I don't think the cam is your problem. Did
you have the head shaved? Use the shortened push rods? Time the cam
properly? Is your ignition system working properly? Vacuum leaks have
always caused me more idle problems than anything else, and they can be
difficult to track down. I'd start there.
        There was a guy at Roebling Road in Savannah a few, well 11 years ago
running a highly modified TR6 with twin 1.75 Z-S's and I assure you his
engine was sucking a lot more air than yours while giving JK Jackson a
run for his money. JK Jackson is partial to SU's, but they are twin 1.75
HS6's, so I doubt that your engine needs more carburation. You might
want to get a second or third mechanic's opinion on your problem.
 By the way, if you have the Z-19 cam, the valve lash should be set to
.016" hot. The Z-66+10 spec is .018" hot.