Gearbox Cross Shaft Yoke

To: TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Gearbox Cross Shaft Yoke
From: "Michael Ferguson" <fergie@ntplx.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2000 10:06:19 -0500
Getting ready to install my "new" OD gearbox and have a question...When I
insert the taper pin and tighten it, then I turn the cross-shaft by hand as
though stepping on the clutch, the head of the taper pin hits the head of
the screw that holds the countershaft cover plate. I'm not sure whether or
not the cross-shaft has to turn that far when using the clutch - and I don't
see any way to fix this (if indeed, it's broken), but I don't recall it
being this way on the one I removed. Then again, the old one was, shall we
say, a "non-standard" arrangement.

I cannot install the throwout bearing unless the taper pin is removed - not
enough travel - but I assume this is normal. Once installed, total travel
between when the top of the yoke hits the end cover and when the taper pin
hits the countershaft cover screw is just under 1.75 inches.

I suspect I'm ok here, but just wanted to check. WAY too much trouble to
button this up only to have to take it apart again. Thanks very much folks!

Michael Ferguson
1959 TR3A  TS53990L...O!