RE:TR4A tranny: damage report

To: " chansen@access1.net" <chansen@access1.net>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Subject: RE:TR4A tranny: damage report
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 21:32:48 -0400
>From: chansen@access1.net
>Subject: TR4A tranny: damage assessment?

>First, thanks for the advice and help in response to my first post.  Everyone
>advised pulling at least the layshaft.  Using the tip Tony Rhodes posted last
>year during his struggles, I bolted the tranny mount back to the rear extension
>and whacked at it with a big Chinese rubber mallet ($2 at the local junk
>store.)
> Rear extension came right off.

   I am glad you were able to use the tip.!

>The rear layshaft keeper was broken in two at the screw.  From the wear at the
>ends where it fits into the layshaft and that other little shaft, its been
>broken
>for a while.  The layshaft may have been turning while backed about 1/8" out
>of its place.

     So was mine.  However my layshaft has migrated FORWARD and dropped  out of
the
rear hole (at least it was out when I got in to it.

>I found lots of gritty grey sludge, especially in the sump at the front of the
>rear extension.  Not good

    That is supposed to be bearing wear stuff, but I am not sure.  Is it
magnetic?

>.  The layshaft has signs of wear (brighter areas on
>the ends) but still has the specified diameters.  How do you tell if the
>layshaft
>is bad? I have a new one from Rimmer, but I've heard that some new shafts
>aren't
>as hard as the originals.

     I don't know the best answer.  We do know that even the original ones fail
at the rear
section.  You can't see under the hardened layer to tell if it is about to peel
off.  I would say
that it is better to install a new one than keep a questionable old one.  Save
the old one.

>And to the broken clutch fork pin:  I've drilled the clutch fork from the
>opposite
>side to the cavity above the end of the broken pin.  I've rapped on what I
>think
>is the end of the pin with a 1/8" drift, no movement.  It really feels solid
>in there.  Is the pin threaded into the shaft?  Does the hole go all the way
>through the shaft?

     Usually the pin breaks just beyond the threads so no threads are on the
piece
left inside the fork.  When you drilled, did your drill drop into a void inside
the fork?
It ought to have.  Maybe you are hitting the cross shaft and missed the pin.

>Finally, to pull the mainshaft I made what resembles the special tool.  I found
>a piece of mild steel 2" pipe, drilled and tapped two bolt holes on opposites
>sides of one end, then mounted an old engine mount at the other end to beat
>against.  That was fun, hope it works.

     Tell me more.  Do the screws go in toward the center of the pipe, with
only a
thin wall of pipe being threaded?  I had considered drilling across the pipe to
the left
and right of the center with just enough space between the bolts to fit the
narrow
section of the input shaft.

Let us know more as you progress.  Now you have the pleasure of removing and
inserting the
little needle roller bearings in the laygear!!!!!!

-Tony