Throwout Bearing

To: TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Throwout Bearing
From: "Michael Ferguson" <fergie@ntplx.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 19:24:38 -0500
First of all, thanks to everyone who replied to my recent questions about
throwout bearings for my TR3A. I had two with flat faces, slightly larger in
diameter and a smaller one with a rounded face. The flat ones sounded like a
baby rattle when I shook them (for those of you who remember what those
sound like) and the rounded one did not rattle at all and appears to be
good, but...

You all convinced me that the rounded one was for a diaphragm type pressure
plate and the flat ones were for the "finger" type (which I have) so I
bought a new throwout bearing from my friends at Moss.

Now for my question...the new bearing is about (but not exactly) the same
diameter as the old flat ones, but it has a rounded face like the diaphragm
type. Not as curved as the old one, but still, not flat. It's also about
1/8" thinner than the old flat-faced ones. I called Moss and they looked at
samples of both and said that the the only two they stock (listed as being
for TR2-4 and TR4A) are both rounded and that the later version is smaller
in diameter. They also showed quite a few sales with no returns.

Can I assume that this will be acceptable? I really don't want to put this
monster back together only to find that it does NOT work and that I have to
pull the gearbox again.

By the way, I continue to be impressed by Moss' order/delivery system! The
last 3-4 orders I've placed with them have been placed mid- to late
afternoon and I've received the parts the next day! Of course, I'm in
Connecticut and their warehouse is in New Jersey, but still...

Any advice on the bearing will be most appreciated. I'm ready to try the
lightbulb trick, but don't want to bother if I have the wrong part. Thanks
everyone.

Michael Ferguson
1959 TR3A  TS53990L (almost "O")