Re: Cleaning My Chrome Wire Wheels

To: "Tom Winslow" <tom_winslow@email.msn.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Cleaning My Chrome Wire Wheels
From: "Don Sforza" <dsforza@megahits.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 21:07:40 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
I've gotten a little anal about my chrome wires... then again, at most
shows, mine look the best:

Here's the deal... and it takes a lot of time:
Remove a wheel... turn it over... wash (with Wesley's Bleach White) the
inside of the tire... clean the wire wheel (Quick Silver, or some of the
other acid type cleaners... the best is the Chrome WW cleaner from British
Wire Wheel). Turn the wheel over, repeat on the "good side".

The key is to let the acids do it's job and loosen all the crap, grease,
(oil from the leaking seals!!!),  brake dust etc. Then hose it off with as
strong a spray as you can muster from your hose... even one of those
pressure enhancers used with a compressor would help.

Towel dry the wheel and tire as best you can with a towel, then blow dry the
wheel... again starting from the backside and continuing to the front, using
your compressor. You gotta get the water spots off the wheel... otherwise
they dry and then you have to polish them off.  Finish the job with your
favorite shiny rubber stuff... the thick one seems to last longer. 3M makes
a silicome in a tube that is great, but it's expensive and hard to find. I'm
now using Westley's tire shine... a deal at Costco's... two big bottles for
a song. I use it on the SWMBO's Mercedes and the Buick that
"used-to-be-hers-until-I-bought-the-Mercedes-now-she-wants-that-one". I
like shiny wheels.

I budget about an hour and a half to do the wheels

By the way, I use Dupont Number 7 Chrome polish (the old stuff in the green
can... been around from eons). About once a year, clean each wheel and every
night I'll polish one wheel... takes about an hour, box of Q-tips, and a six
of Bass.

YMMV

Don Sforza dsforza@megahits.com 1963 TR4  CT16707L"O"
Connecticut Triumph Register