Re: Amphi car ride

To: 105671.471@compuserve.com
Subject: Re: Amphi car ride
From: Philip E Bacon <pboldtrix@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 17:35:27 -0400
Cc: Gbouff1@aol.com, Triumphs@autox.team.net
I too, have taken a "cruise" in an Amphicar. In 1962 I was working as an
apprentice Landscape Architect for a firm that was installing public
works landscaping for Gulf American Land Corp., developers of Cape Coral,
near Ft Myers Fla., on the Caloosahatchee river.   One of the novelties
used to impress land buyers (lots $50 down, $20/month) was an Amphicar,
in which the  salesmen would give buyers a ride, gliding down a ramp
(built for boat launching) into the river.  I took several rides with
salesman friends....a rather eerie experience, since the vehicle did not
inspire confidence either as a car or a boat.  As I recall, the gimick
came to an end one day when an overweight lady, alarmed at the serious
list, decided to get out and opened the passenger door before they were
completely ashore.  The Amphicar sank, as did I suppose,  the land sale.
  Phil Bacon 72 TR6

http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.