Timing and getting your car started.

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Timing and getting your car started.
From: AlumV8@aol.com
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 15:46:33 EDT
Hi List,

Been watching the threads going by regarding the timing issue. I am surprised
just how many of you do not practice what I would consider to be correct
indexing of your static timing.

Many of you have mentioned the correct method for the most part, but did not
include all the details. I feel blessed for having learned my method at age
17(I'm 36 now) and have been able to get evey single car I have ever come to
that was not able to start timed before wasting a single starting amp.

First thing you do is get your firing order. I will use the order for my
Buick 3.5 V8 code here.

18436572

now take this number and cut it in half

1843    6572

1 is TDC, 6 is opposite cylinder

another example my TR4 is 1342

13    42

one is number one, and 4 is opposite cylinder

the first digits of both sets indicate the 1st and opposite cylinder. This is
where most people screw up, they try to time the engine by the number one
cylinder. This is iditoic at least. If you view the cam profile during TDC
there is virtually no movement. You can not get an exact point by a wide flat
spot.
Instead you must use the opposite cylinder in this case cylinder number 6.
While TDC occurs on number 1, the opposite cylinder is at a crossover between
exhaust and intake. Thats because from the moment the piston completes the
exhaust stroke, it starts the intake. Thus the exhaust valve closes and the
intakes opens.
When you view this you will note there is a time right where the exhaust
closes and intake open. You will be on TDC for the number one cylinder if you
stop at the direct midline of the two valves opening and closing. At this
point you can take a look at your harmonic balancer and note where it is at.
It should be very close to TDC, within a few degrees. but close enough to get
it started. Use this method to also see if your harmonic balancer has
slipped. Look at your distrubuter. Where is the rotor pointing? 95% of you
will note its somewhere around cylinder number 6. Don't feel bad, happens to
everyone :)

simply reposition your distributor so that rotor is currently directly under
the number one plug wire on the cap. I always hated when people would say
pointing to number one cylinder because so often I would find cars that
people pointed the rotor at the number one cylinder on the block itself, not
the plug wire.

double check your plugwires are in correct position on plugs and cap, and
note if it goes in the right direction.
If you follow this method you will never ever question whether your timing is
correct again.

I can't count how many times friends and relatives could not get a car
started because they did not have the static timing right.

Hope this helps those out there who were not 100% clear on the subject. I am
sure someone has posted this info here before but have seen so many posts
about timing I thought I would add in.

I will get off my soapbox now ;)

Op