RE: TR3-4 Generator Drive Belts

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3-4 Generator Drive Belts
From: "Randall" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 09:44:15 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
Paul Cordts wrote :

> 1--Are there longer drive belts available for the TR3-4?

Yes, but they are difficult to find, and usually way too long.  The Cummins
178539WRZ is effectively slightly longer, mostly because it rides lower in
the pulleys.  I had to special order it through a Cummins truck dealer.

> 2--What is the size of the stock belt??

The belt that used to be supplied (NLA) was marked 20x900.  I don't know how
that was measured though, the standards have apparently changed.  Jim
Wallace made a post about a year ago about current Gates belts that would be
close in size, you can find it in the archives.

> 3--Does the crank pulley for the MGB fit the TR3-4?

Not without significant modifications.  The hub is too short (needs a spacer
behind it), and the surface for the front seal is smaller (needs a special
seal).  The ID of the hub opening appears to be OK, but I haven't actually
tried it yet.  Someone mentioned a harmonic balancer from a 5.0 Mustang, I
plan to look at that next.

> 4--If there a 3/8" hub that will work for the water pump if
> one were to
> use a 3/8" belt??

Yes, BFE, Revington, probably others carry them.  _Might_ be able to use an
original TR6 pulley, with some mods.  BFE carries the entire kit to convert
to a narrow belt, but it's not cheap.

Randall