Re: TR-3 steering

To: "Westerdale, Bob" <bwesterdale@edax.com>, "'Bob Labuz'" <yellowtr@borg.com>, scott weldin <sweldin@mail.ups.edu>
Subject: Re: TR-3 steering
From: "Michael Ferguson" <fergie@ntplx.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 18:44:58 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Scott, I've separated a couple of these in recent months and have yet to be
able to do it without destroying the silentbloc bush itself. Last time, all
I did was push the pickle fork between the tie rod and drop arm/idler arm
and pry. No hammers...just bare hands. What this did, in both cases was
separate the cheapa$$ silentbloc (washer from the center pin to which it was
riveted) thereby destroying it!

Then, just remove the center tie rod with the tapered pin still in the drop
arm or idler. You should then be able to get some sort of tie rod puller in
there to push out the tapered pin. I have one I bought from JC Whitney for
$10 or so (too large to squeeze between the tie rod and drop arm, but once
the tie rod's out of the way...)

Installed two Moss silentblocs last summer and tried to remove them a couple
of months ago. Seems to me they shouldn't have broken apart so easily -
these are steering parts, after all. When I put it all back together, I used
Revington's stainless and bronze units. More expensive, but should result in
tighter steering, be MUCH more substantial than the rubber sleeved crap that
split apart - and hopefully, the next time I take them apart, I'll even be
able to re-use them. 'Course, it probably won't be nearly so easy to split
apart. :^)

Just my .02...Good luck.

Michael Ferguson
1959 TR3A  TS53990L