Barry S's Exhaust questions

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Barry S's Exhaust questions
From: Aribert_Neumann@magna.on.ca
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 10:45:54 -0400

Greetings Barry;   I concur in trying to quiet down my car's exhaust note.  I do
not want to irritate my neighbors when I leave for work in the early mornings
and my car does not run well when cold under 2000 rpm.  I am currently in the
process of upgrading my 2.5L Spit bodied GT-6's Monza exhaust system.  Actually
all that is left of the Monza system are the pair of dual exhaust tips.  I a
previous attempt to quieten the exhaust I replaced the rear Monza glass packs
with Dynomax Mini-turbos.  In preparing for the latest changes I did some
research.  I spoke with Borla's tech rep and was told that the longer 30in?
silver bullet would give a noticeable sound reduction over the 18 in. version
with an insignificant increase in backpressure.  I questioned the validity (I'm
cheap and my spouse discourages me in spending money on the "toy car") of buying
a SS glass pack.  Brian S. at Power British suggested a turbo tube muffler.  I
purchased a 24 in. long turbo tube (3 in. OD, true 2.0 ID, Thrush brand from
Jegs, about $30) and have installed it as a resonator between the X-frame rails.
THe turbo tube replaces the 2.75 OD, 13 in. long Monza resonator (with a tiny
1.3 in. ID).

Years ago when I installed the Monza system I turned down the lower flange of
the GT-6's frame.  This increased the clearance between the frame rails to about
3.75 in. at the narrowest point.  By turning down the lower flange I
(potentially) reduced the frame's stiffness cross car (in side impact) and
increased its stiffness in for/aft bending.  I consider the subtle if any
increase in for aft stiffness to be a plus and by the time the frame provides
any significant protection in a side impact I would already be very dead.