Rear Spring Removal

To: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rear Spring Removal
From: "Michael Ferguson" <fergie@ntplx.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2000 19:44:43 -0500
Decided to remove the rear leaf springs on my '3A to replace the front eye
silentblocs. Followed instructions in the book and the pin on side one came
out with barely a groan on my part. Cool! Now on to side two...

The pin that I removed from side one has a round head with a flat on one
side which butts up against a corresponding stud welded to the frame to keep
it from turning. Has a threaded hole in it just like the book says. Screw a
5/16 x 24 UNF in there and pry it out. Side two has the threaded hole, but
the round head is about twice a thick - and appears welded to the frame!
Prying does nothing...Hammer does nothing; foul language even less! There
also appears to be no flat on the head of this stud, nor a corresponding
piece welded to the frame...of course, if you weld the whole thing to the
frame, who needs a flat?!

Has anyone run into this before? Short of torching it out, is there a
solution? Based on the condition of the bush on side one, I was tempted just
to put it back together, but you know the old story..."as long as I've got
it out..."

Now, I'm MORE than tempted to put it back like it was. From what I can see
of it, side two is in about the same condition as side one. I'm not real
sure how to determine acceptable condition of these things so if anyone has
a suggestion as to how I can evaluate, I'd love to hear it.

Am I an official DPO victim now? Any and all suggestions welcome. Thanks!!

Michael Ferguson
1959 TR3A  TS53990L